Thought I'd update you on the family room hold-up that's holding up my kitchen re-paint.
To re-cap: We like to camp. We've outgrown our pop-up. We can't afford a schmancy camper.
Sooooo, instead we decided to redo "the hunting camper", and by "we" I mean me.
I mean, I decided Sean was redoing his hunting shack camper that a guy he used to work with gave him a few years ago. For free. That's how good of shape it was in.
It is, after all, older than me. Not that that's hard to be. I'm but a girl.
Shut it. I am.
But, in case you are having a hard time getting the picture, here is a picture...
There's no way I'm sleeping in that!
Okay, so there's a lot more pictures coming atcha. I'll try to put them in some sort of order and explain what you're looking at. I didn't really take a good "before" of the outside. It was actually not that bad, other than the color, which you'll see. None of the windows were broken before we started. And when I say "we", I mean Sean. I did insulate it and make the curtains. And when I say I made the curtains, I mean I cut them out, ironed the hems and my sisters sewed them. It's good to delegate...
Gah-ross! This is what we found when we pulled off the icky warped paneling!
Sean had to pull out each stud and replace it, one at a time so the camper didn't lose it's shape.
In some cases he just vacuumed out the old stud, cause they were so rotted!
Here's what it looked like with spanky-new framing:
He also had some work to do on the roof, so the new wood wouldn't get water-damaged, but I didn't take pictures of that.
While he was working like a beaver on the inside, I was giving the outside a lil' makeover.
This is the color it had faded to over the years:
Hmm. It actually looks less ugly in this picture than the reality. See, it wasn't a cool vintage-y green and yellow. It was hideous. I promise.
But, what color to paint it? Originally I thought red, because the Suburban we were driving last year when I first thought of redoing the camper was red. But we've since bought a white one with a blue pinstripe.
See? That I did take a picture of! I know! Someone should take away my camera!
Mostly I just wanted to brag about what good shape our 1989 Suburban is in.
("It's like people who brag about being tall.")
Anyway, I also happened to have bought four cans of blue spray paint when Valspar changed their nozzles and the old ones were clearanced out for a buck twenty-five a can. At the time I had no idea what I'd use it for, but you cannot beat that price. You cannot.
A few of the pieces Sean had off the camper, so I was able to paint them pretty easily, like this one:
This picture makes the blue look a lot brighter than it is. It's a happy medium between royal and navy.
Anyway, most of the siding he didn't take off, so I had to get creative. I was able to tuck newspaper right under the lip of the siding for the bottom, which was easier than taping off. But for the top I used Press 'N Seal Gladwrap and painters tape, as you can see here:
Worked crazy good!
So the blue was easy to decide on, and I thought about leaving the yellow yellow, show some U of M pride. But it wasn't a good yellow. You know I'm picky about yellow! Tyler and Cameron thought I should paint it black. Jill thought I should try gray. But in the end I went with BAHAMA BLUE because, well, I had two cans of that that I'd bought on clearance at WalMart!
The only thing left was the super-aged emblems. They're riveted on, so no taking them off to paint. Again, the clingy wrap worked like a dream and I sprayed them white.
I was planning on painting the letters black, but then I saw a beach towel we have that was hanging over the porch rail to dry (We're re-doing a 1977 Holiday Rambler in our front yard and you think a little towel over the rail action is trashing up the place?!), and realized it was the same blue, aqua and also a limey green and I liked it! So I decided to make that our second accent color. Then, before removing the cling wrap, I sprayed it again with a clear top coat.
I love, L-O-V-E, love how it turned out.
Sean wired the lights and outlets and running lights, then I got to work on the inside insulating.
This was not a fun part.
Sean would argue none of it was a fun part, FYI. He said people doing this kind of thing for fun is, and I paraphrase, 'bull'.
Finally, the ceiling and paneling went up. I'm going to paint the ceiling, but opted for this pickled wood-look paneling so I wouldn't have to paint the walls, too.
This is looking towards the back, where our bed is.
The kids' bunks are in the front:
I wasn't crazy about the bunks being in front of the windows, but Sean said I couldn't just pick my favorites to have beds and there was no good place to put four! They aren't bad, though. The only trouble is my dad didn't leave enough room for the curtains to hang freely. (NOT complaining, Dad! I love you!)
And the kids love them so much, they immediately messed it up like it was their own rooms in the house.
It's not done yet, but we did take it for a maiden voyage this past weekend. The kitchen and dinette are not done, and I still have to paint and put the finishing touches on, but it had beds, carpet (thanks, Shaner!) and air conditioning, so we were happy campers.
More pics when those things are done, but that's what I've got for now.